Whenever you install an application, an entry thereof is added in the Start Menu and place the end of the list while the other entries are arranged alphabetically.
To Automatically Sort Windows XP Start menu program list alphabetically:
1. Open the Registry Click on "start", "Run ..." then type "regedit" and click on "OK"
2. Go to the key: KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder
3. Pull down the key named "MenuOrder"
4. Delete the key named "Start Menu (Classic Start Menu) and /or" Start Menu2 "(XP style Start Menu)
5. Deleting this key will also eliminate its subkeys, but will have no impact.
Note: changes will apply after relogon